“Service Above Self” is the Rotary motto.
Current service projects of the Bonham Rotary Club include:
- Dictionary Project – at the beginning of each school year, Bonham Rotary Club provides a new dictionary to each third grader in Fannin County.
- Special Olympics – each spring, Bonham Rotarians enjoy volunteering at the Special Olympics meet in Bonham. Rotarians cook hot dogs, prepare ribbons and medals, time races, start races and more. Bonham Rotary Club also provides financial support for this event each year.
- Citizen of the Year Awards – Bonham Rotary Club is proud to sponsor the Citizen of the Year awards for the Bonham schools.
- Scholarships – each May the Bonham Rotary Club awards college scholarships to local high school seniors
- Rotary Youth Leadership Award (RYLA) – each spring, two Bonham High School juniors (one male, one female) are selected to attend Camp RYLA in the summer. This week-long leadership camp is often described as “life-changing” and “amazing.” More about Camp RYLA: www.ryla5810.org
- Water Project – Bonham Rotary Club donated money to build a water well in Africa for school children. As a follow-up activity, we also hosted a water awareness day with sixth grade students from IW Evans in May 2014, 2015 and 2016.
- Great Days of Service – each fall our members enjoy participating in various service projects around Bonham as part of Great Days of Service. Our club has participated every year since this this was started by Rotarian Sandy Barber in 2011.
- Festival of Flight – our club enjoys participating in the Festival of Flight each fall in Bonham. Rotarians enjoy driving golf carts to give rides to veterans who attend the event.
Rotarians at Special Olympics
Latest Service Project News:
Bonham Rotary collected peanut butter and jelly for Kool Lunches to feed hungry kids this summer.
Rotarians and 6th graders from IW Evans in Bonham enjoyed time at Powder Creek Park on April 18, 2017. Rotarians led fun, interactive and educational activities about water conservation.
The second annual Dr. Walter Sisk Memorial Blood Drive will be hosted by the Bonham Rotary Club and the Texoma Regional Blood Center on Wednesday, January 11 from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. The bloodmobile will be in the parking lot of the First United Methodist Church and Family Life Center at 801 Star in Bonham.
Dr. Walter Sisk joined the Bonham Rotary Club in 1961, the same year he started practicing medicine in Bonham. He was an active member in Rotary up until he passed away in late 2015. He even attended the weekly club meeting just a few days before his death.
The Bonham Rotary Club decided last year to honor the memory of this long time member by hosting an annual blood drive each year on or near his birthday. During his lifetime, Dr. Walter saved many lives as a doctor. The Bonham Rotary Club wants to help continue his legacy of saving lives by encouraging blood donations.
Several years ago the Texoma Regional Blood Center presented the program at one of the club’s weekly meetings. The Center was started by local doctors in 1975, which was fourteen years after Sisk started practicing medicine in Bonham. During the question and answer part of the program, Sisk described how fortunate we were to have the center providing blood in the area. He recalled the challenges he faced in getting blood for his patients before the local center was formed.
Rotarian Pat Ward brought back a giant thank you card from Trenton ISD. The third graders were excited to get their dictionaries from the Bonham Rotary Club.
Rotarians Mike Smith & Bob Carrol love reading the thank you cards from all the Fannin County 3rd graders that received their own personal dictionary from Bonham Rotary Club!